Since wed. Micah, my family, and I have had some rough days.
It all started Wed. morning about 5:45 when I got Mayah up to eat breakfast. She was still very tired which is not normal. She is such a morning girl and this is when she loves to do most of her talking! I was holding her and she was looking and smiling a little at my mom when she had the biggest poohy I had ever heard her have. I went in to change her and noticed just a little blood in her dirty diaper. I had Micah and my sister look at it and we thought she was ok just something to keep an eye on. So went into the living room to feed her. She was not eating very well and threw up all over the place. Now we are thinking she has a stomach bug but no fever.
I went on to work and Micah and Deana were home with her. Micah called the doc. and the nurse told him to just watch her and to give her some pedi a light. So Deana went and got some on her way home from getting her hair cut. Which Mayah threw that up too! Now she is getting pale and Deana tells us to take her to the doctor no matter what they say.
I meet them at the doctors office and when i see my poor baby she is REALLY tired and pale. I knew the moment I looked at her she was SICK.
We went into our room and the doctor came in very quickly. As soon as she walked in she looked at her and told us that we were looking a trip to the emergency room. The doctor pushed on her belly which then caused her to throw up green/brown bile. This sent me over the edge and now I was crying with Micah, who had been crying all day, and little did we know this was just the beginning. The doctor told us that she thought she had intussusception. Which is when the intestine slips inside each other causing it to become clogged where nothing can pass.
We load her up in Deana's car and we are off to Children's Medical Center. It seemed like it took us forever to get there, but when we did it took no time at all to see a doctor and that is when I realized how sick my little baby was.
A resident came into our room first and did not stay long. She told us that she need to go get the doctor and she would be right back. Micah and my mom left the room because Micah was having a really hard time and did not want to watch her get an IV so my sister stayed with me in the room. When the doctor came back with about 5 other people they looked at her and then told me that they were going to take us to a bigger room. Little did I know until we got there that they were taking us to a Trauma room.
I felt like I was in the middle of the show ER and it was my little baby that was the star. There were about 15-20 nurses and doctors in the room all talking and working on my poor little girl. I will tell you that I had the best doctor and she did a great job keeping me informed about what was going on and what all they were doing. They gave her an IV very first thing and she did not even cry when he did it. Then they quickly gave her 120cc of fluid which she was then able to open her eyes and look at me. Still grey and did not look good at all, but they were working very hard to get her better. They then did a sonogram and after that I heard the doctor say to call the surgery team.
A surgeon came down to talk to me and told me that they did think she had intussusception and that they are usually able to fix it 9 out of 10 times with an air enima, but if that did not work they would have to do surgery to fix it. They said that they were planning on taking her to have another sonogram done and that they were waiting on some blood work to be done to make sure that there was nothing else going on. They were also getting her blood type just in case she were to need blood at some point.
We finally were taking to have another sonogram done and they immediately saw the clog and it was off to the radiology room to have the air enima done. The doctors there were great as well and I felt very safe leaving my baby in their hands. They told me that they would try it three times if it did not work the first time, but after that if it didn't work they would have to operate. They had the surgeons in the room just in case.
We waited about 15min. which seemed to be about an hour. The radiologist came out and told us that unfortunately we were the 1 out of 10 that it did not work and that she was going to have to have surgery. The surgeon came out and talked us through the entire procedure and made us feel very confident that she was going to be ok with him. We got to take her back to our ER room so that the rest of the family could kiss on her before they cam to get her for surgery.
They came and got us about 10min later and took us to another room so that the anesthesiologist could come in and talk to us. She did not do a very good job making me feel like things were going to be ok. Everyone was very good about how and what they said to me, besides her. When we she left I did start to feel very nervous and then a nurse came and took Mayah off to the operating room.
We were taken to the surgery waiting room. My dad went and got the family something to eat because it was now 9:30pm. We ate, prayed, and talked while time was going by so SLOW! After about and hour and a half the doctor came in and told us that she was done and everything went very well. While he was in there he went ahead and removed her appendix.
Micah and I got to go back to the recovery room to see her. It was so sad to she her laying there with all the monitors hooked up to her and still sleeping, but her coloring was starting to come back. At the same time it was so nice to see my little girl getting better and that the hard part was now over and we were on the road to recovery. She was in the recovery room for about an hour and then they moved her to her own room in the hospital.
When we got to her room she was doing very well. She started eating and having dirty diapers! We have never been so excited to change a dirty diaper before. My mom and sister stayed in the hospital with us and we took turns holding her all night. I just could not lay her down in that big, cold, metal crib by herself. Plus it just made mommy and daddy feel better. :)
The next morning she was doing so well that we got to leave around lunch time!!
Friday and Saturday she was doing so well and back to her happy, smiling, and laughing self. We were so excited that she was better!
On Sunday she got up around 6 and ate breakfast. She was really hungry and ate a lot. After that she screamed and cried until 12 and there was nothing we could do to make her feel better. We tried EVERYTHING. Micah decided that he wanted to call the surgeon to just make sure that this was normal and that nothing was wrong. The surgeon said that it could happen again within the first 24 hours so he wanted us to bring her back in for a sonogram.
SO.....
We were on our way to the hospital again. When we got there she actually feel asleep and then woke up hungry. I feed her and she seemed to be ok. The surgeon still wanted to do the sonogram just to make sure. Thankfully everything came back ok and her intestines looked GREAT!!
She is now feeling better and mommy and daddy are recovering from their terrible emotional roller coaster.
It all started Wed. morning about 5:45 when I got Mayah up to eat breakfast. She was still very tired which is not normal. She is such a morning girl and this is when she loves to do most of her talking! I was holding her and she was looking and smiling a little at my mom when she had the biggest poohy I had ever heard her have. I went in to change her and noticed just a little blood in her dirty diaper. I had Micah and my sister look at it and we thought she was ok just something to keep an eye on. So went into the living room to feed her. She was not eating very well and threw up all over the place. Now we are thinking she has a stomach bug but no fever.
I went on to work and Micah and Deana were home with her. Micah called the doc. and the nurse told him to just watch her and to give her some pedi a light. So Deana went and got some on her way home from getting her hair cut. Which Mayah threw that up too! Now she is getting pale and Deana tells us to take her to the doctor no matter what they say.
I meet them at the doctors office and when i see my poor baby she is REALLY tired and pale. I knew the moment I looked at her she was SICK.
We went into our room and the doctor came in very quickly. As soon as she walked in she looked at her and told us that we were looking a trip to the emergency room. The doctor pushed on her belly which then caused her to throw up green/brown bile. This sent me over the edge and now I was crying with Micah, who had been crying all day, and little did we know this was just the beginning. The doctor told us that she thought she had intussusception. Which is when the intestine slips inside each other causing it to become clogged where nothing can pass.
We load her up in Deana's car and we are off to Children's Medical Center. It seemed like it took us forever to get there, but when we did it took no time at all to see a doctor and that is when I realized how sick my little baby was.
A resident came into our room first and did not stay long. She told us that she need to go get the doctor and she would be right back. Micah and my mom left the room because Micah was having a really hard time and did not want to watch her get an IV so my sister stayed with me in the room. When the doctor came back with about 5 other people they looked at her and then told me that they were going to take us to a bigger room. Little did I know until we got there that they were taking us to a Trauma room.
I felt like I was in the middle of the show ER and it was my little baby that was the star. There were about 15-20 nurses and doctors in the room all talking and working on my poor little girl. I will tell you that I had the best doctor and she did a great job keeping me informed about what was going on and what all they were doing. They gave her an IV very first thing and she did not even cry when he did it. Then they quickly gave her 120cc of fluid which she was then able to open her eyes and look at me. Still grey and did not look good at all, but they were working very hard to get her better. They then did a sonogram and after that I heard the doctor say to call the surgery team.
A surgeon came down to talk to me and told me that they did think she had intussusception and that they are usually able to fix it 9 out of 10 times with an air enima, but if that did not work they would have to do surgery to fix it. They said that they were planning on taking her to have another sonogram done and that they were waiting on some blood work to be done to make sure that there was nothing else going on. They were also getting her blood type just in case she were to need blood at some point.
We finally were taking to have another sonogram done and they immediately saw the clog and it was off to the radiology room to have the air enima done. The doctors there were great as well and I felt very safe leaving my baby in their hands. They told me that they would try it three times if it did not work the first time, but after that if it didn't work they would have to operate. They had the surgeons in the room just in case.
We waited about 15min. which seemed to be about an hour. The radiologist came out and told us that unfortunately we were the 1 out of 10 that it did not work and that she was going to have to have surgery. The surgeon came out and talked us through the entire procedure and made us feel very confident that she was going to be ok with him. We got to take her back to our ER room so that the rest of the family could kiss on her before they cam to get her for surgery.
They came and got us about 10min later and took us to another room so that the anesthesiologist could come in and talk to us. She did not do a very good job making me feel like things were going to be ok. Everyone was very good about how and what they said to me, besides her. When we she left I did start to feel very nervous and then a nurse came and took Mayah off to the operating room.
We were taken to the surgery waiting room. My dad went and got the family something to eat because it was now 9:30pm. We ate, prayed, and talked while time was going by so SLOW! After about and hour and a half the doctor came in and told us that she was done and everything went very well. While he was in there he went ahead and removed her appendix.
Micah and I got to go back to the recovery room to see her. It was so sad to she her laying there with all the monitors hooked up to her and still sleeping, but her coloring was starting to come back. At the same time it was so nice to see my little girl getting better and that the hard part was now over and we were on the road to recovery. She was in the recovery room for about an hour and then they moved her to her own room in the hospital.
When we got to her room she was doing very well. She started eating and having dirty diapers! We have never been so excited to change a dirty diaper before. My mom and sister stayed in the hospital with us and we took turns holding her all night. I just could not lay her down in that big, cold, metal crib by herself. Plus it just made mommy and daddy feel better. :)
The next morning she was doing so well that we got to leave around lunch time!!
Friday and Saturday she was doing so well and back to her happy, smiling, and laughing self. We were so excited that she was better!
On Sunday she got up around 6 and ate breakfast. She was really hungry and ate a lot. After that she screamed and cried until 12 and there was nothing we could do to make her feel better. We tried EVERYTHING. Micah decided that he wanted to call the surgeon to just make sure that this was normal and that nothing was wrong. The surgeon said that it could happen again within the first 24 hours so he wanted us to bring her back in for a sonogram.
SO.....
We were on our way to the hospital again. When we got there she actually feel asleep and then woke up hungry. I feed her and she seemed to be ok. The surgeon still wanted to do the sonogram just to make sure. Thankfully everything came back ok and her intestines looked GREAT!!
She is now feeling better and mommy and daddy are recovering from their terrible emotional roller coaster.





STEPHANIE!!!! that is so so so so so scary!!! i'm so glad that she is okay though! but still, soooooo scary!!!! :(((( i can't even imagine. haden was in the hospital once and it was scary enough! and there was no surgery involved... just a spinal tap and i cried the whole time. i just can't imagine!!! so scary! well, i'll keep praying for her! she is just the cutest, little thing ever! love you guys!!!
ReplyDeletei'm so glad she's okay and i know both you and micah are feeling so much better. i can't imagine how going through all of that must have felt. so glad you had your family close by and the amazing doctors involved.
ReplyDeleteReading this made me cry! I am so sorry you guys had to go through this. I am glad the surgery worked for Mayah. One of my good friends little girl had intussusception at 4 months old and she was hospitalized for about 3 days. That was the first time I had every heard of this problem. Give little Mayah a big hug for me & you too! -Alicia Cox
ReplyDelete